The Hyundai Atos is back in South Africa and the automaker believes this entry-level model has what it takes to be a top-seller in the Korean manufacturer’s local range.
Built on an all-new platform with bigger dimensions than its predecessor, Hyundai says the spacious cabin and improved ride and handling with low NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) levels, should see the Atos be at the top of buyers in the entry-level car segment the shopping list.
The new Atos hatchback, which will slot into the local Hyundai range below the Grand i10, is also equipped with a four-cylinder engine that is said to be fuel-efficient, which is an important criterium on the list of consumers who shop around in this segment of the car market.
Under 6.0 L/100km
The re-entry of Atos in South Africa followed road tests over a 1 100km route that ranged from sea-level to the high altitude of the Highveld – all done in on-the-road comparison with some of the new model’s main rivals in its segment.
The 50kW maximum power that the Atos’ 1 086cc engine delivers at 5 500 revolutions per minute, as well as the maximum torque of 99Nm which comes at 2 800r/min., compares very favourably with a range of competitors in its market segment, says Hyundai. Official fuel consumption, tested in a real-world combined cycle, is 5.7 L/100km.
Its dimensions and ground clearance are also on par with its rivals, but it is the whole package with a complete list of features that the Atos offers at a most competitive price which will perk the interest of new car buyers.
The list of standard features includes:
- An infotainment system with a seven-inch touch screen and Apple Carplay and Bluetooth connectivity;
- An onboard computer;
- A multifunction steering with remote buttons for the radio, sound system, and Bluetooth-connected cell phone;
- A dedicated USB charging socket that also serves as a connection point for Apple’s Carplay, as well as an extra 12V power socket;
- An air conditioner;
- Electrically controlled front side windows;
- Stylish, comfortable seats with durable cover materials;
- Airbags for the driver and front passenger;
- ABS to keep control under emergency braking, especially on a wet road; and
- ISOFIX child seat attachment points on the rear seat bench.
Included in the Atos’ asking price of R159 900 is a seven-year/200 000km warranty, a one-year service plan, and roadside assistance for seven years or 150 000km. Services are done at 15 000km (or annually). The Atos is offered in colours ranging from the eye-catching and spritely Acid Yellow to Polar White, Titan Grey, Fiery Red, Alpha Blue, and Typhoon Silver.